Read: A STATE BROADCAST BY HIS EXCELLENCY, NYESOM EZENWO WIKE, CON, GSSRS, POS TO THE PEOPLE OF RIVERS STATE
My dear people of Rivers State
Recall that during our inauguration for our second tenure, we promised to deliver three new flyover bridges at Okoro-Nuodo, Rebisi and Rumuogba axis of Obio/Akpor and Port Harcour City Local Government Areas of the State.
2. Recently, we flagged-off the construction of these flyovers at part of activities marking the 100 days of our second tenure in office.
3. During the flag-off, we announced that we have released 70 per cent of the cost of these projects to the contractor, Julius Berger Nigeria Limited, which has promised to deliver them within 16 months from mobilization.
4. In addition to the three flyover bridges, massive construction works by Julius Berger Nigeria Limited are also ongoing at both the new and old Government Reservation Areas of Port Harcourt.
5. Now that material construction works is underway in virtually all the afore-mentioned sites, we consider it necessary to express our concern over the distressing traffic congestions being experienced by members of the public in Port Harcourt and its environs arising from the ongoing major construction works.
6. While we deeply share in and regret the inconveniences and pains visited on the public by the massive construction activities,we appeal for understandingas the same are necessary and temporary sacrifices for the development of our State.
7. We wish to assure our people that the inconveniences would be short-lived as Julius Berger Nigeria Limited has assured us that they will deliver the three flyover bridges within contract timeline.
8. We therefore call on all residents and visitors to Port and its environs to show understanding by being a responsible commuter, obeying traffic rules and cooperating with Julius Berger Limited to complete the construction works as scheduled.
9. On our part, we will continue do everything we possibly can to mitigate the inconveniences and ensure the free flow of vehicular and human traffic in the city throughout the construction period.
10. Finally, we wish to assure you once again that the interest of Rivers State remains our only priority and we shall surely deliver these and other ongoing projects to accelerate the development of the State and the wellbeing of our people by God’s special grace.
11. We appreciate and thank you all, for your kind understanding, support and cooperation, as always.
12. May God continue to bless our dear Rivers State.